Man Utd Match Reports

United Hold on to Beat Crystal Palace

Image for United Hold on to Beat Crystal Palace

A hard-fought victory for Manchester United as they beat Crystal Palace 2-1.

Before kick-off, both sides took part in a minute’s silence for all the people who lost their lives in the Munich air disaster with it being the 65th anniversary on the 6th of February.

The last time these two met was in December when Palace scored a last-minute free kick via Michael Olise to secure a point from the game.

Erik Ten Hag made three changes to the team which beat Nottingham Forest 2-0 in the Carabao Cup second leg Semifinal.

Bruno Fernandes opened the scoring for the home side inside six minutes, from a Will Hughes handball, which Fernandes converted from the penalty spot.

Wout Weghorst went close to scoring a couple of minutes after the goal. United were stopping Palace from getting out of their half with the midfield and full-backs breaking up play.

Chances from Marcus Rashford and Fred went close for United as Patrick Viera’s team were struggling to keep up with United’s intensity.

Palace tried to start the second half with more intent, Lisandro Martinez made a vital tackle to keep the Red Devils 1-0 up.

In the 62nd minute, brilliant play from United as Luke Shaw fired the ball into Marcus Rashford who scored, as he has 11 goals in his last 13 games for United.

A scuffle broke out after Antony was pushed down the edge of the pitch by Jeffery Schlupp which resulted in all the players from both teams getting involved.

Casemiro was sent off with 20 minutes to go after and he will miss the next three games for United.

Jeffery Schlupp gave the visiting team a lifeline when he scored from a second phase of play after the corner.

Since the sending off the Eagles were the better team as they nearly found the back of the net but with a strong resilient defence, United held on to claim all three points.

Share this article

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *