Date: 7th October 2012 at 6:03pm
Written by:

United gained some sort of revenge for the 3-0 reverse, at St James Park, last year by inflicting a similar defeat on Newcastle this afternoon.

Starting without a recognised winger in the eleven and playing something akin to a diamond shape in midfield with Rooney playing behind Welbeck and Van Persie, United got off to a wonderful start.

Quicker out of the blocks than our hosts, United found themselves leading 2-0 after fifteen minutes, with both goals coming from set-pieces from unexpected sources.

The first, on eight minutes, saw Jonny Evans make a jinking run to bamboozle the Newcastle defence, to head powerfully home from a well taken corner. The second, seven minutes later, saw Patrice Evra do something similar and head past Harper, in the Newcastle goal.

United could have extended their lead thanks to some comical keeping from Harper. Trying to dribble the ball out of defence, Harper was robbed by Welbeck but his resulting shot went well wide.

Slowly though, Newcastle got back into the game and pushed United back. Gutierrez saw a shot from the edge of the area flash wide, whilst Demba Ba smashed a shot over the bar from a well worked corner.

Other efforts saw Cabaye shoot over after a neat back-heel from Ba whilst Gutierrez saw a shot deflected wide. In the three minutes of stoppage time, Cisse headed wide with Evra blatantly pulling his shirt as he tried to escape his marker, something missed by Howard Webb.

In a feisty first half, United had Kagawa, Van Persie and Ferdinand all booked.

Half Time – Newcastle 0 United 2

Our hosts started the second half well and almost reduced the arrears when five minutes into the half the ball came back off the bar and Cisse was foiled in his attempt to turn the rebound home when Ge Dea scooped the ball clear off of the line.

Newcastle continued to threaten and a Ba header, from a Cabaye assist went just wide. Sir Alex Ferguson, as the hour mark approached, shuffled his pack taking off Kagawa and bringing on Valencia.

United were soon on the attack and Cleverley could have done better than fire over the bar from a Welbeck lay-off. Harper was forced into action pulling off a save from a low shot by Rooney before, for our hosts, Ben Arfa drilled a shot just wide from outside the area.

But with 71 minutes played United made the game safe when Tom Cleverley directed a cross-cum-shot towards the far post and it beat Harper all ends up, it was Cleverley`s first league goal for United.

Sir Alex took the sting out of the game by bringing on Scholes and Giggs for Rooney and Van Persie and the only late effort saw Ba unleash a low shot that was saved by De Gea.

As for second half yellow cards, Scholes received a very late one for a rash challenge.

Vital Man United on: facebook

Vital Man United on: twitter

Join Vital Man United

It’s easy to REGISTER HERE, simply click the link and enjoy getting involved!